Skip to main content

LET'S TALK ABOUT MENTAL HEALTH TODAY!!


We are in a society that isn’t keen on talking about mental health, it isn’t surprising that most of us are unsure on how to support someone who is struggling with their mental health.

But; vulnerability is hard. It’s risky. Exposing our vulnerability with people we trust can feel comforting and loving. It can feel good to lean on others.

I read a quote by Natural life which said; “If it costs you your mental health, then it is too expensive.”
Avoiding certain people and things to protect your mental and emotional health isn’t a weakness.


At times, it’s good to name that feeling. Pause-Reset-Notice what you feel.
Many of us feel more than one emotion at a time, so don’t hesitate to identify multiple emotions you might be feeling for the sake of your mental well-being.

Realistically, our daily choices and habits have an impact on how we feel. Most of our daily routine contributes to anxiety, a bad language to one’s mental health.
Anxiety occurs when the brain senses a potential threat that may or may not be immediately present. Sometimes, the trigger for anxiety can be uncertain, vague or not as easily identifiable as the immediate threat that triggers fear. It can feel overwhelming because you’re not sure exactly what’s causing it.

Someone once wrote; “Sometimes, you feel mentally exhausted not because you are tired or burned out but because you are getting over the pain.”
When tension becomes a habitual pattern in our body, we get curious about its protective nature and what it may be trying to prepare or complete.

When sadness and anxiety took control of my life sometime back, it led me into a darker space. What began as a journey inward was a pain and tension that became so loud within me and it began pouring out into my life as a destructive behaviour, my mental health was affected and I just couldn’t bring myself to the best perform in every part of my life.
The first instance of reclaiming my power was when I said no more to things and situations that kept weighing me down.

 

MENTAL HEALTH WELL-BEING NOTE

I Have met broken men before and
It's a catastrophe.

They all hide their brokenness somewhere for fear of being judged
cause the society always labels a man as the strong one

If a man reports abuse/violence/traumas they say; " he's too weak to be considered sane." 
"Too strong to be sympathized".

But most men have demons they’re fighting time over time
in search of light and freedom with their spirits crushed under trials of life.

 

BROKEN PIECES FROM OBWERA

 

Dearest Ndapita,

I am writing this note as part of my broken pieces
of which I have been struggling to make whole.

I clearly remember how you said it to my face that "I carry poverty on my skin like birthmarks.”
And that "men are only good at chapter one of every love story.”
Your words made me hate the mess my emotions brought.

My chest kept feeling heavy at the thought of every memory that had you in it.
Then, I didn't see the meaning of life - the reason to live.
Death was beckoning me every second. Should it be a rope? Staged accident? Or poison in my tea?
I have had countless thoughts towards death - suicide got to be my best last option.
But I survived all the attempts - another chance to live though with painful memories that still insist sharp objects in my head. 

I have sabotaged myself most of the time.
I am exhausted but I still want to draw breaths.

I now forgive myself for believing that people can possibly change for you - for giving up my dreams and ambitions just to impress you.

You left - my sanity left me too.
There was no meaning in everything around me - Mental breakdown.
I go on my knees each time and wonder; " If there's any other way to label pain & brokenness, for I wished to extract the aches from every part of me without leaving scars on my skin,
because I realized that I have battles to fight, wars to win.

So, I got up from the ground and affirmed myself how worthy I was.
I read somewhere that said; " You are worthy the moon, the stars and every glimmer of the world."

Lastly, I thought to let you know that I have charged up my esteem.
I am working on my ambitions and dreams.
I got tired of the feeling that was hovering over me - the suffocation.

Even when the society says; " A man should always toughen up."
I get to say; "A man should refuse to suffer in silence.
There's nothing wrong speaking up! Mental health should be a priority!"

Obwera.

 

Some Affirmations for you Today:

ü  Breathe in peace, exhale negativity.

ü  Set aside some time for yourself.

ü  Remember how capable you are.

ü  You have survived your worst days.

ü  It’s all going to be okay.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I LIVE

  The phase I was in weeks ago made me question my existence on earth “perhaps, has my time elapsed?” I have escaped a number of accidents for two weeks in a roll. I was on bed rest. Got back on feet and faced yet another accident day after day “I thought my life has come to an end.” “I could barely let food pass my throat; the fear-anxiety and the stress all over it of what becomes of me the next day was too much for my mind” “is death beckoning me?” I asked myself a couple of random questions just to be sure I was on a right spot - safe and sane “I must repent.” “Change my ways, stay sane even in the midst of the rumbling thunder that was ready to take over in my brain.” So I rose up, charged myself up “enough is enough.” My mother had already said a prayer of favor  over me. She blessed me right from the day I was conceived. “You shall not die before your time, you shall live to fulfill  your purpose on earth; No man anywhere will deny you of your dues, the harvest of your planting

AWAKENING: STORIES UNTOLD, STORIES UNHEARD AND STORIES UNREAD

  Chapter one Correct me if I am wrong, but I remember all the words you like to say behind closed doors. She whispered in my ear “I take you as you are and you will be. I won’t try to change you but I will ride out change with you. I see you and I will never ask you to be less or more.” With words so charming and full of meaning, that’s how she destroyed me. I have been awed and terrified by the experience of being in love to the extent that when it’s love, I’d rather close the book and put it back on the shelf. I do not know how to hate no matter how much I have been wronged. I met Tuseke when I had gone for my usual check-up at the hospital. She was there to visit her grandmother who was gravely ill and on admission. She had asked for directions to get to the elderly female ward, that was just the same way to Doctor Mayepi’s office. My all time go to health practitioner. We walked hand in hand and talked about a few things on science and medicine. She hated being a

LETTER TO KAMBANI

  Dearest Kambani, I write this note to you for there is an ache in my ribs. Your sugar-coated deceit made its way through and I felt like all the air left my lungs after I heard and read out all your lies. You said; “I will answer you before you even call to me.” Little did I know you were trying to memorize Jeremiah 33:3 on me. You said; “I will be your peace.” But; Don’t be my peace. I already have that. First, be at peace with yourself and everything around you. I know this note will make you remember the warmth of my touch, how it made your heart race, the joy you claimed I brought to you. I had mixed portions of happiness and loyalty between the things I love and you with a pinch of sugar to align the moments. That’s how much I cared. I am blooming in your absence after being trapped in the cage of your lies and deceit, after you sliced me a dose of pain and moments of tears. Leaving you came hand in hand with finding myself – Broken but Functional.

YOUR FOREVER LOVER

I normally don't let people in my space, But when it came to you, it was all different. "How is it that you fit so perfectly in my mind?" I want to love you like there's no tomorrow, And when tomorrow comes,  I will love you all over again - Forever. There's no place that I won't go to find you on this earth, I will walk miles to find you. Just like wine and roses, You truly complete me; Never did I understand what true love is until I had you in my space. I will be your lover in sin and virtue from across lifetime.

WHISPERS AND PROMISES

  In this story of mine you have always been the best chapter! I’d rather take all the storms than have all the sunshine days without you around!   Though emptiness consumes me I surely will wait on time to lead me to you, for you hold the pieces that makes me whole! I met an angel; I saw it in your eyes with whispers and lost in your gaze making myself a promise to never let go of you!