Skip to main content

LET'S TALK ABOUT CANCER TODAY!!


This has been the hardest episode on #letsbreakthesilence to write about.

I have been thinking a lot about these terms’ ‘survivor’ and ‘thriver.’
They are frequently used in the cancer community. And as someone who witnessed a cancer experience, I find myself dissecting and deconstructing the use of the terms. How about we use the word ‘rebel’ as @saralous.writes put it.

Cancer is a disease caused by the uncontrolled growth of abnormal cells in the body.
This abnormal cell growth can damage normal cells around it and in other parts of the body.
The effects of cancer disease can be devastating, and it’s important to stay informed about its risks and prevention.
A minority of cancers are due to inherited genetic mutations. Most cancers are related to environmental, lifestyle or behavioural exposures.

Cancer is a disease that everyone can suffer from. And there are different types of cancer.

·       Bowel cancer

·       Bone cancer

·       Bladder cancer

·       Brain tumors

·       Breast cancer

·       Cervical cancer

·       Colon cancer

·       Endometrial cancer

·       Fallopian tube cancer

·       Gallbladder cancer

·       Kidney cancer

·       Leukaemia      

·       Liver cancer

·       Lung cancer

·       Lymphoma

·       Melanoma

·       Pancreatic cancer

·       Prostate cancer            

·       Skin cancer

·       Thyroid cancer

·       Ovarian cancer

·       Vaginal cancer

There is no standard treatment or protocol for any cancer.
Rebels of cancer may be permanently immunologically suppressed.
I read an article by a ‘rebel’ which got me to have flashbacks from years ago. She narrated her journey with breast cancer. She was starting her 25rounds of radiation after just recovering from a double mastectomy and 6months of chemo due to stage 3 breast cancer. She narrated how she forgot what it was like to feel ‘normal’ both mentally and physically. She felt to have been stuck in a world where she dreaded leaving her home or making plans out of pure discomfort. She could barely move her body or keep her eyes open.
This note came as a message of hope and an inspiration. Not just to me but to everyone who is currently battling with cancer, those whose relations are battling with cancer and even those who are advocating about cancer.
I feel joy and happiness regularly when I read stories about cancer rebels.

 

Having cancer is never fun.

But when your partner/parents/sibling/friend have been diagnosed with a life-threatening illness, all you can be is to concentrate on being by their side doing everything you can do to keep them comfortable and happy as possible.
It is now that I get to understand the pain he was going through. His illness was never explained to me to a better understanding. Years later, whenever I stumble on the world cancer, grief envelopes all around me. Grief once again, peeks out from between the cracks that formed in my heart as I learn exactly what it was that took that jovial young man away.
There was a time I spent day by day praying and hoping, keeping high levels of expectation that someone I dearly loved would get better.
With him not picking calls or responding to my text messages and not wanting me to go see him, I didn’t know exactly what to expect. I just knew that “it wasn’t good.”
I was led into believing that after he’s done with his chemo, everything was to get a whole positive. To get back to normal life. That was not the case for him, for me, for the both of us, for his family.
Even when he was going through chemo, he still looked exhausted and could barely talk or open his eyes for long. He was worn out day after day.

‘The cause of his increasing pain was not the chemo but actually the cancer growing aggressively.’ The palliative care nurses said. They said his ca125 had tripled in the last two weeks and chemo had stopped working. The roller coaster. After chemotherapy and radiation, his cancer kept returning and continued to engulf his body. His tumors came back and was given months to live (which I didn’t know of). Unfortunately, due to the failed medical system and adequacy, he passed away. He was only 23 years old.

At times, I am angry he died. Death is scary. Grief is scary too.
If love is said to grow more deeply with time,
then shouldn’t it make sense that yearning for someone we are missing would as well?
I couldn’t get over the call that came through of his demise.
But even when the arena is empty, I am eternally grateful for every second we spent together.

 

AFFIRMATION FOR YOU TODAY

·       Don’t stop living.

·        Don’t stop dreaming.

·       Don’t stop making plans.

 

RECOMMENDATIONS

Books about curing cancer naturally

·      When Natural Cures for Cancer Became Illegal by Harry Hoxsey.

·      The Grape Cure by Johanna Brandt.

·      Healing the Hopeless by Dr Max Gerson.

·      Your Own Perfect Medicine by Christy Martha.







Comments

  1. i have an uncle who is battling cancer in the hospital as am typing this and i must say hes sickness has not only affected his family only but everyone who knows him..all we can do is to pray and encourage him

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I LIVE

  The phase I was in weeks ago made me question my existence on earth “perhaps, has my time elapsed?” I have escaped a number of accidents for two weeks in a roll. I was on bed rest. Got back on feet and faced yet another accident day after day “I thought my life has come to an end.” “I could barely let food pass my throat; the fear-anxiety and the stress all over it of what becomes of me the next day was too much for my mind” “is death beckoning me?” I asked myself a couple of random questions just to be sure I was on a right spot - safe and sane “I must repent.” “Change my ways, stay sane even in the midst of the rumbling thunder that was ready to take over in my brain.” So I rose up, charged myself up “enough is enough.” My mother had already said a prayer of favor  over me. She blessed me right from the day I was conceived. “You shall not die before your time, you shall live to fulfill  your purpose on earth; No man anywhere will deny you of your dues, the harvest of your planting

AWAKENING: STORIES UNTOLD, STORIES UNHEARD AND STORIES UNREAD

  Chapter one Correct me if I am wrong, but I remember all the words you like to say behind closed doors. She whispered in my ear “I take you as you are and you will be. I won’t try to change you but I will ride out change with you. I see you and I will never ask you to be less or more.” With words so charming and full of meaning, that’s how she destroyed me. I have been awed and terrified by the experience of being in love to the extent that when it’s love, I’d rather close the book and put it back on the shelf. I do not know how to hate no matter how much I have been wronged. I met Tuseke when I had gone for my usual check-up at the hospital. She was there to visit her grandmother who was gravely ill and on admission. She had asked for directions to get to the elderly female ward, that was just the same way to Doctor Mayepi’s office. My all time go to health practitioner. We walked hand in hand and talked about a few things on science and medicine. She hated being a

LETTER TO KAMBANI

  Dearest Kambani, I write this note to you for there is an ache in my ribs. Your sugar-coated deceit made its way through and I felt like all the air left my lungs after I heard and read out all your lies. You said; “I will answer you before you even call to me.” Little did I know you were trying to memorize Jeremiah 33:3 on me. You said; “I will be your peace.” But; Don’t be my peace. I already have that. First, be at peace with yourself and everything around you. I know this note will make you remember the warmth of my touch, how it made your heart race, the joy you claimed I brought to you. I had mixed portions of happiness and loyalty between the things I love and you with a pinch of sugar to align the moments. That’s how much I cared. I am blooming in your absence after being trapped in the cage of your lies and deceit, after you sliced me a dose of pain and moments of tears. Leaving you came hand in hand with finding myself – Broken but Functional.

YOUR FOREVER LOVER

I normally don't let people in my space, But when it came to you, it was all different. "How is it that you fit so perfectly in my mind?" I want to love you like there's no tomorrow, And when tomorrow comes,  I will love you all over again - Forever. There's no place that I won't go to find you on this earth, I will walk miles to find you. Just like wine and roses, You truly complete me; Never did I understand what true love is until I had you in my space. I will be your lover in sin and virtue from across lifetime.

WHISPERS AND PROMISES

  In this story of mine you have always been the best chapter! I’d rather take all the storms than have all the sunshine days without you around!   Though emptiness consumes me I surely will wait on time to lead me to you, for you hold the pieces that makes me whole! I met an angel; I saw it in your eyes with whispers and lost in your gaze making myself a promise to never let go of you!