Skip to main content

HOLLOW-1 by @Tina

Guest Writer's Profile

Name: Gbenegbara Augustina Dumbari.

PenName: Tina

Genre: Short story

Profession: Dental surgery student

Location: Nigeria


HOLLOW


Sometimes great love begins with great fury. These are tales of passion and partnership that ignite somewhere closer to hate. Warriors on opposite ends of a battle field align to oppose a greater evil. Sworn enemies become bound brothers for the greater good. Whatever it is that puts them at odds, it is no match for the power of what binds them together.


CHAPTER ONE


Darkness descended upon the land as the sun hid behind the clouds giving way to the lone bright moon. It was quiet in the jungle as the animals had retired for the night save a few crickets singing and the owls hooting.

I panted as I crouched beneath a huge tree under the thick blanket of the night. My feets were aching and blood seeped out of the cuts on my skin. My eyes were heavy and my throat parched, yet the last thing on my mind was quenching my thirst as I relished the fact that I was still alive. I'd run the longest marathon of my life as a reptile in the forest gave me a hot chase. 

This is the worst night of my life yet. I thought to myself. I am alone on an unknown island, no means of communication to the outside world, and no contact with the others. I'd washed up on the bank of this island few days ago with salty water in my lungs and my body heavy as log. It was a miracle I survived. The first day was hell! I had hypothermia and a fever. But I had more pressing issues to worry about - I'd no map. Which island is this and where is it located? Are there inhabitants here? Is it safe to be here? How would I leave? I'd no one to ask. I wandered around eating wild fruits I thought was safe and having nothing to quench my thirst. I was awake throughout the whole night keeping watch of my surroundings for fear if the unknown. It rained that night and I was drenched since I had no shelter but I was glad I could at least quench my thirst. I wondered how long it would take to get help. Leaning my back against the tree, I sighed.



It was a pleasant sunny morning. I hummed as I rolled my suitcase behind me towards the ship at the seaport. I had convinced my parents to let me go on a cruise tour since my grandparents cancelled their trip to...I couldn't stay at home alone either as my parents would be going on business trips. I looked up some cruise ships and their itinerary and Senuf was just what I wanted. Affordable, comfortable, classy and destination - check. I proceeded to have all necessary documents checked and boarded the ship.

 It was summer and I had just convinced my parents to let me go on cruise tour since my grandparents cancelled their trip to Shakure last minute. I couldn't stay at home alone either as my parents would be going on business trips. 

     This shouldn't be that hard. I think it'd be fun. I thought to myself

Looking for any familiar faces, I looked around the dock. There were teenagers scattered around 

the dock, different color, faces and origins.

      Well it seems there's no one I know here

 Just as I thought so, I heard a familiar voice behind me

"Well look who's here! Have you come to grace us with your presence your Majesty?"

I know that voice anywhere - Kemi.

       "You could say that dear Kemi. Y'all should be grateful to have me here". I flipped my hair. 

Now pause for a second, let me tell about Kemi and I.

Kemi and I go way back. We literally grew up together. We lived in the same estate, played together on the streets of Portharcourt, attended the same nursery and primary school, and even the same church before we moved out of the country. With this history, one would think we'd be best friends but for some reason we never got along. The reason for the bad blood, I  can't tell. Not quite sure how it started but we compete a lot. Dance competition, swimming, writing, even singing. 'Your Majesty' is what she calls me ever since I won a pagent we both competed in when we were fourteen. We were like the two sides of the chess board.

Kemi snickered, " Oh? I thought 'your majesty' should be having a beauty rest? What happened to your oh-so-lovely-Shakure vacation?"

I clicked my tongue, "sticking your nose into other people's business, are we?"

We broke into a staring contest and before we could determine the winner, there was an interruption, " What's with the catfight ladies?" A tall, handsome, blonde guy walked towards us. His blonde hair was messy and he was wearing a blue shirt all unbuttoned on top a round necked shirt with the print 'happy holidays' and a white shorts. He put his arms around me and winked at Kemi. I flung his hands off my shoulders and walked away bumping shoulders with Kemi. I could hear her clicking her tongue behind me.

I walked towards the opposite direction of where Kemi stood with the blonde guy. I looked around and saw that everyone seemed to be talking to someone. They seemed like they'd know each other since forever. I took a deep breath in and breathed out. I walked around looking for anyone to talk to so I don't stick out like a sore thumb. I spotted a girl at a corner looking into the ocean and I decided to talk to her. Here goes nothing... 

"Nice view...", I said walking to stand beside her and looking into the ocean as well.

She merely glanced at me and continued looking at the ocean.

Uhh, what just happened? Well I shouldn't give up right? 

"The whole place is abuzz and everyone seems to be talking to someone. I didn't think I'd find someone enjoying the view".

Still silence

"I'm Alera. What's...your name?" I asked a little hesitantly

"If you weren't so slow witted, you'd have realized that I just wanted to be left alone!" She finally replied in an icy tone that caught me off guard. 

"Hey, I was just trying to be friendly! Why so cold?", I asked her.

"Nobody came running to you for friendship so you can keep it to yourself!" She turned to walk away.

"Well I hope that whatever's bothering you eat you to your bones!" I called after her.  "Jeez.."

"That wasn't nice you know?" Someone said from behind me.

"Are you one of her goons? What now? You're going to beat me up?" I asked with raised eyebrows.

"No..." He chuckled "Rest assured no one's beating up anyone. I'm Greg".

"Well, I'm.."

"Alera" He interrupted, "I overheard".

"You were eavesdropping?" I asked.

"Nope. I just happened to hear", he shrugged.

"Sounds the same to me", I said and he laughed.

"Well you don't seem bad for company". He'd moved to occupy the position the girl left.

"I'm not. I just met the wrong person", I shrugged.

"Well you were wrong too. If you paid a little more attention, you'd have noticed her mood".

"Still, it doesn't give her a reason to snap at me. She was just being rude". I rolled my eyes. 

We talked some more and I'd learned that it wasn't his first time on a cruise ship. He always spent his vacations on a cruise ship. He enjoyed watching the sunrise and the calm ocean view over a cup of coffee, he'd said. Towards evening he asked me if I'd join the party...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I LIVE

  The phase I was in weeks ago made me question my existence on earth “perhaps, has my time elapsed?” I have escaped a number of accidents for two weeks in a roll. I was on bed rest. Got back on feet and faced yet another accident day after day “I thought my life has come to an end.” “I could barely let food pass my throat; the fear-anxiety and the stress all over it of what becomes of me the next day was too much for my mind” “is death beckoning me?” I asked myself a couple of random questions just to be sure I was on a right spot - safe and sane “I must repent.” “Change my ways, stay sane even in the midst of the rumbling thunder that was ready to take over in my brain.” So I rose up, charged myself up “enough is enough.” My mother had already said a prayer of favor  over me. She blessed me right from the day I was conceived. “You shall not die before your time, you shall live to fulfill  your purpose on earth; No man anywhere will deny you of your dues, the harvest of your planting

AWAKENING: STORIES UNTOLD, STORIES UNHEARD AND STORIES UNREAD

  Chapter one Correct me if I am wrong, but I remember all the words you like to say behind closed doors. She whispered in my ear “I take you as you are and you will be. I won’t try to change you but I will ride out change with you. I see you and I will never ask you to be less or more.” With words so charming and full of meaning, that’s how she destroyed me. I have been awed and terrified by the experience of being in love to the extent that when it’s love, I’d rather close the book and put it back on the shelf. I do not know how to hate no matter how much I have been wronged. I met Tuseke when I had gone for my usual check-up at the hospital. She was there to visit her grandmother who was gravely ill and on admission. She had asked for directions to get to the elderly female ward, that was just the same way to Doctor Mayepi’s office. My all time go to health practitioner. We walked hand in hand and talked about a few things on science and medicine. She hated being a

LETTER TO KAMBANI

  Dearest Kambani, I write this note to you for there is an ache in my ribs. Your sugar-coated deceit made its way through and I felt like all the air left my lungs after I heard and read out all your lies. You said; “I will answer you before you even call to me.” Little did I know you were trying to memorize Jeremiah 33:3 on me. You said; “I will be your peace.” But; Don’t be my peace. I already have that. First, be at peace with yourself and everything around you. I know this note will make you remember the warmth of my touch, how it made your heart race, the joy you claimed I brought to you. I had mixed portions of happiness and loyalty between the things I love and you with a pinch of sugar to align the moments. That’s how much I cared. I am blooming in your absence after being trapped in the cage of your lies and deceit, after you sliced me a dose of pain and moments of tears. Leaving you came hand in hand with finding myself – Broken but Functional.

YOUR FOREVER LOVER

I normally don't let people in my space, But when it came to you, it was all different. "How is it that you fit so perfectly in my mind?" I want to love you like there's no tomorrow, And when tomorrow comes,  I will love you all over again - Forever. There's no place that I won't go to find you on this earth, I will walk miles to find you. Just like wine and roses, You truly complete me; Never did I understand what true love is until I had you in my space. I will be your lover in sin and virtue from across lifetime.

WHISPERS AND PROMISES

  In this story of mine you have always been the best chapter! I’d rather take all the storms than have all the sunshine days without you around!   Though emptiness consumes me I surely will wait on time to lead me to you, for you hold the pieces that makes me whole! I met an angel; I saw it in your eyes with whispers and lost in your gaze making myself a promise to never let go of you!