Skip to main content

BEFORE WE PART WAYS by Garnet Howse

Guest Writer's Profile

Name: Garnet Howse

PenName: Garnet Howse

Genre: Poems/ Shortstory

Profession: Accountant/ Auditor

Location: Blantyre, Malawi

Period of writing : 10years


BEFORE WE PART WAYS

“Please don’t go...” Maggie said in a pleading voice while kneeling down in front of Richard. Her eyes beaming red because she had been crying before Richard got to her house. She knew this was her last resort to convince Richard. She had been pleading for hours but Richard could not have it. Richard’s face was still fuming throughout as he looked down at her, he was absolutely angry with her. He wanted to slap her so hard and make her forget where she came from, but he kept his calm as he continued to explore his thoughts. “You went too far Maggie, there’s no way I can forgive you, you have crossed the line!” Richard strongly exclaimed with his deep voice. His blue shirt wet from the sweat dripping from his armpits. The sweat was from earlier when he drove from the work to Maggie’s house because of the text he got from his wife.

The text message he received from his wife came with a picture attached, showing him and Maggie kissing and embracing each other inside his vehicle. And the picture showed the screen shot that was sent from Maggie’s phone number, so immediately Richard knew that Maggie had told his wife about their affair. Furiously, he realized that what had just happened was something that could break his family to pieces. So, he quickly grabbed his car keys and without saying anything to any one of his colleagues, stormed out of the office and followed Maggie. And now here they were, discussing the Nomi creature.

“I gave you everything Maggie, literally everything and this is how you repay me? Huh?” Richard continued to spat out what he thought he could and Maggie was just kneeling there while sobbing. You could tell Maggie was in total disarray, she had regretted what she texted to Richard’s wife. And here she was, and the only words she could say were, ‘sorry’. She had miscalculated the whole scenario. She thought she could snatch Richard away from his wife and keep him for her own. She had grown so greedy and felt attached to Richard now more than ever. She wanted Richard’s touch to be felt only by her. She had forgotten that she was the side chick that fell on the wrong side of love. She regretted the advice she got from her best friend Jane. Now she was at the brink of losing her borrowed man and also all the benefits that came with him.

“I pay rent for your house! I pay school fees for your child who isn’t even mine! I give you a lot of pocket money, is this the way to repay my love for you?” Richard was crying from the inside. He never even thought for a moment that Maggie would be the one to betray him, let alone give him away to his wife. A lot of lurk shire alluded his personality and now he was the pretending good husband to his wife. He didn’t know how he will face his wife about this dubious matter. The text that was sent to him didn’t carry many words and that was what scared him. The text said what is this? In caption of the picture. His thoughts were out of the roof as he gestured towards Maggie. He didn’t know if his family would be intact after this horrendous exposure of his dark exploits. But he was absolutely certain that him and Maggie were over.

“I am so sorry Richard, please, I am sorry!” Maggie was pleading relentlessly. She held Richard’s right hand with both her hands to try and stop him but Richard pulled away from her reach. Maggie didn’t know what to do. She kept on pleading. She couldn’t imagine life without Richard. She didn’t want to be reminded of the life she lived before Richard walked into her life, with his charming smile that erased her fears. He completely swayed her thoughts on the day she met him. His Robotics stature appealed Maggie’s taste. She knew that Richard looked mighty fine in his black suit. His broad shoulders and tall height were what cemented the catch. And she couldn’t believe it was now 6 years since their first meeting. Their side relationship had come from far and she had just destroyed it with a single text.


“And to think that we have come this far? Maggie Maggie why? Why have you done this?” Richard kept on crying. He was just spewing words at this moment. Asking what he could to try and understand why all this was happening. He must have missed something or perhaps he didn’t know Maggie that well. Perhaps he should have just walked away on the day that he saw her. He shouldn’t have stopped for her and her son on that night. He shouldn’t have felt pity at all. But no, he had to save the stranded young beautiful woman who was with a child besides the Energem filling station at 9pm and give her a lift home. And as if that wasn’t enough, he asked for her number. That’s what sparkled the fire. Regrets piled his brain. He was turning the files of his brain just to find where it went wrong.


“I love you Maggie… no, no. I loved you! Its over between us! You should never call me again. Never text me again. In fact, I don’t want to ever see you again! Its over!” Richard said boldly. These were the hardest words he had spilled yet. Deep down he didn’t want it to end, but it was necessary for it to end. And he didn’t want to hear what Maggie was saying or was going to say. Any excuses weren’t worth listening to. He didn’t want to feel pity for her ever again. Constant talking led to unwanted feelings and feelings led to unquenchable desires. Richard glared at Maggie one more time. He looked at her pretty face drenched with tears.

“You know, now I have realized that you were the greatest mistake of my life, I shouldn’t have given you a lift that day. I regret ever knowing you. I hope you have a great life, Maggie. I hope you will sleep well every night knowing that you are the reason my family is in ruins! “, Richard said his last words. Maggie kept quiet. She suddenly was digesting the words she had just heard. It felt like the words were cursing at her. And she didn’t like how that made her feel. To her, Richard had been the guardian angel that saved her that night, and continued to save her until now. Richard had pulled her out of poverty, made her look pretty. She had grown to love this man. And she never cared if he was already married to someone else. She firmly believed that Richard was sent to her for a reason. But slowly she had been craving for more attention, demanding more of this and that while she knew well that he was a married man. She was so in love that she wanted to have the same feeling his wife was having. She wanted Richard to show up in his bed every night and wake up to his handsome face every morning. She wanted Richard to go on simple dates with her and her son. She wanted her son to have a father. Was she reaching too far?

She reached for Richard’s hand again. “Please Richard we Can talk about this. We always have. Just hold me and hug me tightly. We can forget that this ever happened. I love you Richard and you know it deep down. I said I am sorry. Please, let’s talk.” Maggie pleaded. This was her last resort. She stood up and tried to kiss her. Richard pulled away. She thought make up sex was going to cut it, but not this time. Richard was determined to walk away from her forever. And he knew all the tricks in the books. He wasn’t going to fall for make up tactics. And since he had said his piece. He moved away from her tardily and turned to face the door. Then he walked quickly towards the door as Maggie cried. “Richard no, come back” Maggie tried to follow him but tripped and by the time she looked up, Richard was already in his car starting the engine. She run towards the car but she could not get there in time. Richard was already on the road, accelerating towards the main road.


@Garnet Howse

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I LIVE

  The phase I was in weeks ago made me question my existence on earth “perhaps, has my time elapsed?” I have escaped a number of accidents for two weeks in a roll. I was on bed rest. Got back on feet and faced yet another accident day after day “I thought my life has come to an end.” “I could barely let food pass my throat; the fear-anxiety and the stress all over it of what becomes of me the next day was too much for my mind” “is death beckoning me?” I asked myself a couple of random questions just to be sure I was on a right spot - safe and sane “I must repent.” “Change my ways, stay sane even in the midst of the rumbling thunder that was ready to take over in my brain.” So I rose up, charged myself up “enough is enough.” My mother had already said a prayer of favor  over me. She blessed me right from the day I was conceived. “You shall not die before your time, you shall live to fulfill  your purpose on earth; No man anywhere will deny you of your dues, the harvest of your planting

AWAKENING: STORIES UNTOLD, STORIES UNHEARD AND STORIES UNREAD

  Chapter one Correct me if I am wrong, but I remember all the words you like to say behind closed doors. She whispered in my ear “I take you as you are and you will be. I won’t try to change you but I will ride out change with you. I see you and I will never ask you to be less or more.” With words so charming and full of meaning, that’s how she destroyed me. I have been awed and terrified by the experience of being in love to the extent that when it’s love, I’d rather close the book and put it back on the shelf. I do not know how to hate no matter how much I have been wronged. I met Tuseke when I had gone for my usual check-up at the hospital. She was there to visit her grandmother who was gravely ill and on admission. She had asked for directions to get to the elderly female ward, that was just the same way to Doctor Mayepi’s office. My all time go to health practitioner. We walked hand in hand and talked about a few things on science and medicine. She hated being a

LETTER TO KAMBANI

  Dearest Kambani, I write this note to you for there is an ache in my ribs. Your sugar-coated deceit made its way through and I felt like all the air left my lungs after I heard and read out all your lies. You said; “I will answer you before you even call to me.” Little did I know you were trying to memorize Jeremiah 33:3 on me. You said; “I will be your peace.” But; Don’t be my peace. I already have that. First, be at peace with yourself and everything around you. I know this note will make you remember the warmth of my touch, how it made your heart race, the joy you claimed I brought to you. I had mixed portions of happiness and loyalty between the things I love and you with a pinch of sugar to align the moments. That’s how much I cared. I am blooming in your absence after being trapped in the cage of your lies and deceit, after you sliced me a dose of pain and moments of tears. Leaving you came hand in hand with finding myself – Broken but Functional.

YOUR FOREVER LOVER

I normally don't let people in my space, But when it came to you, it was all different. "How is it that you fit so perfectly in my mind?" I want to love you like there's no tomorrow, And when tomorrow comes,  I will love you all over again - Forever. There's no place that I won't go to find you on this earth, I will walk miles to find you. Just like wine and roses, You truly complete me; Never did I understand what true love is until I had you in my space. I will be your lover in sin and virtue from across lifetime.

WHISPERS AND PROMISES

  In this story of mine you have always been the best chapter! I’d rather take all the storms than have all the sunshine days without you around!   Though emptiness consumes me I surely will wait on time to lead me to you, for you hold the pieces that makes me whole! I met an angel; I saw it in your eyes with whispers and lost in your gaze making myself a promise to never let go of you!