Skip to main content

WHAT DO WE DO PIECES FROM MAIRO~1

I don’t know why people are afraid to talk about grief with each other, but,
one thing they don’t tell you is how grief will turn you madly inward.

The season of heartache is slow to fade, but just as the leaves shall grow again, hope shall take its place in the hearts of those who have suffered grief.

“I married early” as most people put it. I was nineteen when I met Ndikha. A loving and caring man, he understood me the most and was ready to give his all for me. I didn’t want to waste time, when he proposed- I accepted. I moved in with him and we began our ‘happily ever-after.’ I swear, he was my world. My In and Out.
I loved how he could find the sun amidst the storm. I knew I had found the right man and a perfect father for our soon-to-come kids.

Two years down the line, a lot of things had changed for us. We had grown fond of each other and were getting successful. Ndikha was always sweet, he was the character in a dream which I didn’t wish to wake up from.
Towards the end of the year, he broke the saddest news I never thought of. He said he was travelling to Seychelles. He wanted to make it big for us. He promised he was going to make all proper arrangements for me to follow him once he settled. I believed him. There was no reason not to trust his word. This was the man after my own heart.
He left a week before Christmas. We said our goodbyes in the right way as couples do. Tearful and so worn out.

That year’s Christmas wasn’t the same. I spent the whole week indoors. I had my family calling me and coming to visit. It felt like I had lost a greater part of me. My backbone.
On New Year’s Eve, my friend Chipo came by the house. She had all the reasons why I needed to go out for some air. I followed her to some jazz music show in town. We stayed up out till the 1st January. There were a lot of happy faces around, my thoughts rested upon Ndikha my husband, he hadn’t called to wish me a Happy New Year yet. I kept trying to reach him on WhatsApp calls and sent him countless messages but there was no response.
We drove back home with Chipo. When the day broke, we drove around town to a new restaurant owned by an old friend. It was the opening day.
I kept gazing at my phone all the time I was there. I still didn’t get any message from Ndikha.
I confided in Chipo over it and she comforted me not to worry over it saying that maybe he was caught up with work or something.

A day turned into two then a week and it was two complete weeks without hearing from my husband. I was panicking. I had timelessly tried to reach out to his family asking if they had spoken with him but they all said NO!!
I didn’t know anyone to reach in Seychelles, I would have asked them the whereabouts of my husband. Chipo took pity on me and promised to ask around if there would be anyone to help us. But nothing positive came out.
Weeks turned into months – it was six months then and still Ndikha didn’t send a text neither did he make a call. His line was even out of reach. I got anxious and tensed.

One morning, there was a bang at the door. It was so loud that it made my heart sink and excited at the same time. Excited for I thought it was the love of my life back to my arms and the aching for I had been awaken from a dream where my husband was back.
I went to the door and it was Ndikha’s kinsmen, his mother and his two sisters. Five people were standing at that door with angry faces. I let them in and offered them a seat. They didn’t look as pleased and happy as they used to before their son left the country. One of the sisters handled a note to me; “here, read this. It’s from your husband.” I received the letter with shaky hands. My thoughts rested on what would be the contents of that letter. And it read;

Dearest Mairo,

I will never forget the moment I met you.
I fell for someone I never thought I would fall for
and I want you to remember one thing,
wherever you go, I will always cherish the moments I spent with you.
I know you’d be okay without me.

Love,
Ndikha.”

 

To be Continued……

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I LIVE

  The phase I was in weeks ago made me question my existence on earth “perhaps, has my time elapsed?” I have escaped a number of accidents for two weeks in a roll. I was on bed rest. Got back on feet and faced yet another accident day after day “I thought my life has come to an end.” “I could barely let food pass my throat; the fear-anxiety and the stress all over it of what becomes of me the next day was too much for my mind” “is death beckoning me?” I asked myself a couple of random questions just to be sure I was on a right spot - safe and sane “I must repent.” “Change my ways, stay sane even in the midst of the rumbling thunder that was ready to take over in my brain.” So I rose up, charged myself up “enough is enough.” My mother had already said a prayer of favor  over me. She blessed me right from the day I was conceived. “You shall not die before your time, you shall live to fulfill  your purpose on earth; No man anywhere will deny you of your dues, the harvest of your planting

AWAKENING: STORIES UNTOLD, STORIES UNHEARD AND STORIES UNREAD

  Chapter one Correct me if I am wrong, but I remember all the words you like to say behind closed doors. She whispered in my ear “I take you as you are and you will be. I won’t try to change you but I will ride out change with you. I see you and I will never ask you to be less or more.” With words so charming and full of meaning, that’s how she destroyed me. I have been awed and terrified by the experience of being in love to the extent that when it’s love, I’d rather close the book and put it back on the shelf. I do not know how to hate no matter how much I have been wronged. I met Tuseke when I had gone for my usual check-up at the hospital. She was there to visit her grandmother who was gravely ill and on admission. She had asked for directions to get to the elderly female ward, that was just the same way to Doctor Mayepi’s office. My all time go to health practitioner. We walked hand in hand and talked about a few things on science and medicine. She hated being a

LETTER TO KAMBANI

  Dearest Kambani, I write this note to you for there is an ache in my ribs. Your sugar-coated deceit made its way through and I felt like all the air left my lungs after I heard and read out all your lies. You said; “I will answer you before you even call to me.” Little did I know you were trying to memorize Jeremiah 33:3 on me. You said; “I will be your peace.” But; Don’t be my peace. I already have that. First, be at peace with yourself and everything around you. I know this note will make you remember the warmth of my touch, how it made your heart race, the joy you claimed I brought to you. I had mixed portions of happiness and loyalty between the things I love and you with a pinch of sugar to align the moments. That’s how much I cared. I am blooming in your absence after being trapped in the cage of your lies and deceit, after you sliced me a dose of pain and moments of tears. Leaving you came hand in hand with finding myself – Broken but Functional.

YOUR FOREVER LOVER

I normally don't let people in my space, But when it came to you, it was all different. "How is it that you fit so perfectly in my mind?" I want to love you like there's no tomorrow, And when tomorrow comes,  I will love you all over again - Forever. There's no place that I won't go to find you on this earth, I will walk miles to find you. Just like wine and roses, You truly complete me; Never did I understand what true love is until I had you in my space. I will be your lover in sin and virtue from across lifetime.

WHISPERS AND PROMISES

  In this story of mine you have always been the best chapter! I’d rather take all the storms than have all the sunshine days without you around!   Though emptiness consumes me I surely will wait on time to lead me to you, for you hold the pieces that makes me whole! I met an angel; I saw it in your eyes with whispers and lost in your gaze making myself a promise to never let go of you!