SHOULDER TO SHOULDER WITH THE DEVIL
SLIDE TWO
here are people who meet the devil once.
A sudden tragedy.
A single betrayal.
One terrible day.
And then there are those of us who walk beside him for years.
I met him in a church pew.
Not in a bar.
Not in a dark alley.
Not beneath a stormy sky.
I met him where people raised holy hands and sang worship songs.
He was a church boy.
The kind every mother prayed her daughter would marry.
The kind who carried a Bible that looked worn from use.
The kind who could quote Scripture faster than most people could find the page.
Every Sunday he was in church.
Every prayer meeting.
Every youth gathering.
Every sermon.
He spoke about God with a conviction that made people listen.
He shared messages from pastors across the world. He spent hours discussing faith, purpose, and righteousness.
And I believed him.
How could I not?
For two months, I fell in love with the man he pretended to be.
The man who appeared gentle.
The man who seemed disciplined.
The man who looked as though heaven itself had shaped him.
But masks become heavy.
Eventually, they slip.
The first cracks were small.
A missed church service here.
A late night there.
A drink with friends that became many drinks.
A lie that became another lie.
A promise broken and then forgotten.
The boy who once spoke endlessly about God suddenly found more comfort in alcohol than in prayer.
More pleasure in the night than in the light.
More excitement in reckless living than in the convictions he once preached.
I told myself everyone struggles.
I told myself nobody is perfect.
I told myself love meant patience.
So I stayed.
And the devil smiled.
Because deception rarely reveals itself all at once.
It unfolds slowly.
Like poison in clear water.
Then came the women.
One.
Two.
Five.
Ten.
More than I could count.
Some from church.
Some from Facebook.
Some from Instagram.
Some from TikTok.
Some from places I never knew existed.
Women whose names appeared at strange hours.
Women whose messages carried a familiarity that shattered me.
Women who believed they were special.
Just as I once believed I was.
Yet the strangest part was this:
He was not wealthy.
He was not successful.
He was not living the luxurious life he constantly tried to portray.
Instead, he borrowed from them.
Received gifts from them.
Accepted money from them.
Built pieces of his lifestyle upon the affection of people he claimed to love.
And still, somehow, he always wanted more.
More attention.
More validation.
More bodies.
More secrets.
More lies.
The hunger never ended.
Then one day I discovered a truth I was never prepared for.
The betrayal was larger than I imagined.
The double life stretched further than I knew.
The boundaries I thought existed had never existed at all.
Every certainty I held about the man I loved collapsed beneath me.
And with it, something inside me broke.
Not loudly.
Not dramatically.
Quietly.
Like a glass falling onto a carpet.
No one hears it.
But it still shatters.
The hardest part was not losing him.
The hardest part was realizing he never truly existed.
The man I loved was a character.
A performance.
A carefully crafted illusion designed to earn trust.
I mourned someone who had never been real.
And that kind of grief is difficult to explain.
Because there is no funeral for a lie.
No burial for a deception.
No grave where you can place flowers and say goodbye.
You simply wake up one morning and discover that the person standing beside you was a stranger all along.
For a long time, I blamed myself.
I questioned my judgment.
My intelligence.
My faith.
My worth.
I wondered how I could have missed the signs.
How I could have believed the stories.
How I could have loved so deeply someone who loved so little.
But healing taught me something.
The shame was never mine.
Trusting someone is not a weakness.
Loving someone sincerely is not foolishness.
The fault belongs to the one who weaponized trust.
The one who disguised deception as devotion.
The one who wore holiness like a costume.
Today, I still remember him.
Not because I miss him.
But because some wounds leave scars.
And scars tell stories.
They remind us where we have been.
They remind us what we survived.
And when I look back now, I realize that I was never walking beside the man I thought I loved.
I was walking shoulder to shoulder with the devil.
And somehow,
by the grace of God,
I kept walking until I left him behind.

Comments
Post a Comment