Skip to main content

WHO DID IT? ~ ONE

What I was about to do could surely land me a lifetime jail sentence.

I had lived my life the way I wanted and there was no way I could let Kambani get away with everything.

“I am going to end it all today,” I said to myself as I cruised in my new X-Trail along Ginnery Corner. “Kambani will not get away with this, I swear. I will slaughter him and feed him to the G4S dogs.” I kept talking to myself. I was trembling and I had a lot of anger in me.

In the course of the evil thoughts, a quote from Mother Theresa assaulted my mind: ‘If a mother can kill her own child through abortion, then who are we not to kill or harm each other?’

That day, I was not afraid to kill or harm anyone as long as it would do me good.

I slammed on the accelerator to speed up as I could not wait to reach Chigumula where that magus resided.

It was getting dark and the weather was so frozy with drops of rains making it all complicated and with the traffic jam trying to put spanners in my mission. “What’s wrong with our traffic controllers? Why would they not do their job properly? No wonder our country keeps swimming in poverty.” I shouted.

Just at that question, the street lights went off. Blackouts again!

But somehow, I found it so interesting with the fact that it was raining and lights were off. I kept on imaging how thrilling it would be when I got to Kambani’s house. It would be more like a horror action movie where actors like Dwayne Johnson and Vin Diesel would go for a killing mission when it was all dark and frozy. I smiled so hugely. I loved my thoughts, I guess…

I drove past Kapenga stage. The traffic was clearing. In few minutes I was spotting Newlands-Chigumula. The area looked well lit. I guess the wealthier people could afford gensets to lit up their homes. But thanks to heaven, Kambani’s house had none; it was all dark and a bit scary.

You don’t need to wonder why I had courageously driven in such darkness and for that mission. I had gotten my car’s registration number plate removed long before my journey just to make sure nobody noticed me. I was well prepared. A lady on a mission.

I arrived at Kambani’s house quietly. I managed to get in as the front door was left unlocked. I was surprised. Kambani would not leave the door like that. He should have been in there. Did he see my car? Was he tipped that I was visiting? Or was he not around?

I silently walked around the living room and alas! I had stepped on some liquid. Could it be that the roof was leaking? No way! The house was built with stronger rovers and the ceiling board was perfect, it wouldn’t leak.

Bravely, I took out my phone from the inner pocket of my jacket and switched on the torch. Blood! There was fresh human blood all over the floor. Fear engulfed me. The blood trail led me to the kitchen where I found Kambani lying hopeless on the well tiled floor.

Who had done that to him? I couldn’t waste time standing there. I bent myself before him, listened to his heart pulse but I couldn’t get anything.

I had to call the police. But wouldn’t that be risking my life? I had not done anything wrong, but being his fiancée, I would fall out to be the main suspect and everyone would believe it.

I went back to the living room where I got hold of the landline phone and called a police friend of mine. I made sure to sound strange so that he couldn’t recognise my voice.

With that call, I did not bother to go back to the kitchen to check how the wounded Kambani was. I immediately drove back to my apartment in Mandala, packed a few clothes and fixed my number plate back. I had to leave town quickly. I decided to go for a vacation in Mangochi.

It was around 11O’clock at night and the thoughts of what had happened to Kambani kept on disturbing my mind. We had been in a relationship for about two years. It was all warm and sweet until I realized that he had infected me with HIV and I was 5weeks pregnant for him.

As I tried to persuade him to go for VCT with me just to be sure of everything, he ignored me. I was in so much pain, just a week after, he called it quit, he said he was no longer interested with the relationship and that I should move on. Who does that? He infected me with HIV and he had the guts to tell me to move on? Really? Did he expect me to just wake up one day and accept everything he said easily?

That was what made me more annoyed and decided not to spare him.

But coming to think of the hopeless him on that floor, I felt sad and sorry for him. I cried out so much as I was driving. I had remembered I was carrying a child that would be fatherless, Kambani must have been dead and then that I had AIDS. My life was in shambles.

I was alarmed with the flashlight ahead of me. I had reached one of the roadblocks along Zomba road and it was a police checkpoint. I allowed the police to do their job. “What in God’s name do you have here Miss?” one of the officers asked. He walked to the driver’s window and commanded me to get out of the car. His colleagues had already flocked around. “Where exactly are you heading to?” “Mangochi, for a vacation.” I replied confidently. “Who is that man in your boot?” “A man in my boot? No way. I am alone. There’s nobody in there.” I said while walking to check the boot. Shockingly, there was really a man in there, wounded with blood all over. As I looked closely, I recognized the face. “Kambani!!”

How did he even got into my car?

“You will have to come with us and make proper explanations on how this happened. You do not have the right to say any word for whatever you are going to say will be used against you in the court of law.” The voice thundered.

But how did Kambani get into my car? Was that the end of me? Was that how my life was going to end? I simply could not find answers in the handcuffs I was then wearing......


To Continued.........

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I LIVE

  The phase I was in weeks ago made me question my existence on earth “perhaps, has my time elapsed?” I have escaped a number of accidents for two weeks in a roll. I was on bed rest. Got back on feet and faced yet another accident day after day “I thought my life has come to an end.” “I could barely let food pass my throat; the fear-anxiety and the stress all over it of what becomes of me the next day was too much for my mind” “is death beckoning me?” I asked myself a couple of random questions just to be sure I was on a right spot - safe and sane “I must repent.” “Change my ways, stay sane even in the midst of the rumbling thunder that was ready to take over in my brain.” So I rose up, charged myself up “enough is enough.” My mother had already said a prayer of favor  over me. She blessed me right from the day I was conceived. “You shall not die before your time, you shall live to fulfill  your purpose on earth; No man anywhere will deny you of your dues, the harvest of your planting

AWAKENING: STORIES UNTOLD, STORIES UNHEARD AND STORIES UNREAD

  Chapter one Correct me if I am wrong, but I remember all the words you like to say behind closed doors. She whispered in my ear “I take you as you are and you will be. I won’t try to change you but I will ride out change with you. I see you and I will never ask you to be less or more.” With words so charming and full of meaning, that’s how she destroyed me. I have been awed and terrified by the experience of being in love to the extent that when it’s love, I’d rather close the book and put it back on the shelf. I do not know how to hate no matter how much I have been wronged. I met Tuseke when I had gone for my usual check-up at the hospital. She was there to visit her grandmother who was gravely ill and on admission. She had asked for directions to get to the elderly female ward, that was just the same way to Doctor Mayepi’s office. My all time go to health practitioner. We walked hand in hand and talked about a few things on science and medicine. She hated being a

LETTER TO KAMBANI

  Dearest Kambani, I write this note to you for there is an ache in my ribs. Your sugar-coated deceit made its way through and I felt like all the air left my lungs after I heard and read out all your lies. You said; “I will answer you before you even call to me.” Little did I know you were trying to memorize Jeremiah 33:3 on me. You said; “I will be your peace.” But; Don’t be my peace. I already have that. First, be at peace with yourself and everything around you. I know this note will make you remember the warmth of my touch, how it made your heart race, the joy you claimed I brought to you. I had mixed portions of happiness and loyalty between the things I love and you with a pinch of sugar to align the moments. That’s how much I cared. I am blooming in your absence after being trapped in the cage of your lies and deceit, after you sliced me a dose of pain and moments of tears. Leaving you came hand in hand with finding myself – Broken but Functional.

YOUR FOREVER LOVER

I normally don't let people in my space, But when it came to you, it was all different. "How is it that you fit so perfectly in my mind?" I want to love you like there's no tomorrow, And when tomorrow comes,  I will love you all over again - Forever. There's no place that I won't go to find you on this earth, I will walk miles to find you. Just like wine and roses, You truly complete me; Never did I understand what true love is until I had you in my space. I will be your lover in sin and virtue from across lifetime.

WHISPERS AND PROMISES

  In this story of mine you have always been the best chapter! I’d rather take all the storms than have all the sunshine days without you around!   Though emptiness consumes me I surely will wait on time to lead me to you, for you hold the pieces that makes me whole! I met an angel; I saw it in your eyes with whispers and lost in your gaze making myself a promise to never let go of you!